10 week DVD Creation Studies CourseIntroductory Comments:
- The BIBLE represents a FAITH that FITS the FACTS
- Beliefs in origins, and the interpretation of scientific evidence, is biased by whether one believes in GOD or believes there is no GOD
- Evolution is a theory based on numerous assumptions, which despite all the claims of scientific support, does not fit the observable evidence.
- Many of the world’s elite institutions, media groups, and leaders (schools, museums, televisiondocumentaries, many politicians & law makers) expect people to believe that the theory of evolution explains the universe and origins of life on earth. Our public education system excludes teaching any theory which challenges the principal assumptions of evolution theory. That includes the creation model. This is indoctrination, not education.
- If you choose to believe in GOD and are wrong, then you are no worse off than if you chose not to believe in God. If you choose not to believe in GOD, and are wrong, you lose everything.
Week 1 Maker of Heaven and Earth
Week 1 – Maker of Heaven and Earth
Why Creation is a Gospel Issue
by Dr. R. Albert Mohler, Jr., President of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ICR – Institute for Creation Research – 40 Years of Ministry
Rating 10 – 50 min.Key Points: We are at a defining moment in history. 4 Horsemen of evolution – Carl Marx, Signond Freud, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Charles Darwin Europe is made up of primarily secular nations. Even in Catholic Spain only about 2-3% of the people attend church. France is pretty much the same. However, in the United States it is the educated elite who are secularized. The least religious people on earth are the Swedish people. The most religious are Indians. American are a nation of Indians ruled over by an elite of Sweds. Charles Taylor, a Canadian philosopher, describes 3 sets of conditions of belief. Prior to the 16th century it was impossible to believe there was not a Creator. After enlightenment in the 17th & 18th centuries, it was possible to believe there was no God. In the third period which is now, it is impossible to believe. The secular world does not understand how we can believe what we believe, they think we are nuts. Richard Dawkins believes in the selfish gene, that strives to replicate without any other purpose. He compares the lack of belief in evolution, as being comparible to denying the holocaust. The evolutionary movement seeks to marginalize and destroy the biblical foundations of the Christian faith. The evolutionist elite are going after our children. They don’t care what happens in church, because in the end they will get them in the classrooms. 70% of Christian students leave the church by the time they finish college. In the 21st century God & Jesus is being presented as evil. The new atheists in Europe is now claiming that to raise a child with religious conviction is a form of child abuse. 77% of Americans still reject evolution according to a recent survey, but the numbers are in decline. There is no compromise with Darwinism. If Darwinism’s evolution theory is true, the Bible is not. We need to articulate the TRUTH with unmistakeable clarity. As we face off with the future we must, stay in the fight, sharpen the arguments, stand on the scriptures and shout it from the mountain tops.
Week 2 Life’s Story
Week 2 – Life’s Story
The One That Hasn’t Been Told
Rating 10 – 56 min.What does modern DNA research prove about the theory that simple cells evolved into all life on earth? The answer is simply, that evolution is impossible. So why is this information being withheld from the general public? Should Darwin’s theories still be taught as fact in our educational institutions? This is a great presentation showing how Animals could not have evolved by natural processes over long periods of time. Evidence: (Part One) Romans 1:19-22 – Paul writes, For the truth about God is known to them instinctively. God has put this knowledge in their hearts. From the time the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky and all that God made. They can clearly see his invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing God. Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. The result was that their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they became utter fools instead. The Observable World Around Us – Look at the world around us and the complexity and uniqueness of each living thing. Consider the uniqueness of the planets, the stars, and the galaxies. Then consider the majesty of the creator and the absurdity of a theory that suggests that it all just happened through time, chance and the process of natural selection. DNA – The DNA on the head of a pin would fill enough books to extent to the moon and back 5 times. Each creature contains unique instructions for life. Darwin knew nothing of the DNA codes of life. Limits of Adaptation – All life has the ability to adapt within limits of change. For example fish can adapt in size, color and patterning, but the result is always fish. Limits of adaptability are built into DNA. One type of animal cannot breed with another outside its own family of species. For example, a horse can breed with a donkey and produce a mule, but a horse cannot breed with a cow, because that is outside its own species. DNA polymerase regulate the replication and repair for cells which would otherwise be harmful to the creature. Adaptations do not create increased complexity, but rather decrease or simplify a more complex organism. This means that new animals cannot be produced, just variations of exisitng species. This rules out evolution creating brand new animal kinds. Symbiosis – Two different species that are reliant on each for their existance could not have evolved by small changes over time. Parrot fish and coral reefs. Dolphins – If Dolphins evolved then their blow holes for breathing would not have been able to evolve over time. If the holes did not close tight after breathing air or leaked, the animal would drown. Most often evolution would have to take place immediately not in a series of stages for the evolution to be successful. But then that by definition would not be evolution. Dolphins are capable of diving up to 1800 ft. At that depth the water pressure is 820 lbs per sq. in. An animal which is
Week 3 The Case for a Creator
Week 3 – The Case for a Creator
by Lee Stroble
Rating 10+ 60 min.Lee Stroble, a former atheist, interviews scientists & scholars from the fields of physics, astronomy, cosmology, biology and human consciousness to learn that the discoveries of modern science point towards God. Evidence: Miller Experiment – In 1953, at the University of Chicago, Stanley Miller tried to demonstrate how life first emerged on earth by recreating the earth’s early atmosphere and exposing it to electrical charges. He produced a few amino acids in the process. Many saw this experiment as proof that natural processes could have created the building blocks of life. With reinforcement from his teacher, Lee Stroble found it easy to accept Darwinian evolution and outright atheism. He was amazed to learn that many Christians believed that you could harmonize Darwin’s evolution theory with Christianity. Evolution is basically an undirected process, so it made no sense to Lee Stroble that a Christian God would direct an undirected process. Lee Stroble asked himself if science pushes you away from or towards God? He decided to seek the TRUTH about God regardless of where that truth led. He was about to be shocked. Negative Evidence – Biologist Johnathan Wells explained to Lee Stroble that the Miller experiment had been totally discredited. The assumption about the earth’s early atmosphere were wrong, and when Miller made the adjustments to his experiment, he produced no amino acids at all. Many have tried since Stanley Miller and nobody has been able to produce amino acids. However, even if they could, they would be light years away from creating life. Proof – If you take a living cell and put it in a test tube environment that it can thrive in, then poke it so that all the components spill out, you can’t put the molecules back together again to make a living cell. Tree of Life – Darwin’s tree of life, whereby all living things were generated slowly over time into all life that exists today, has no grounds for support. The fossil record should support the theory of the tree of life, but it does not, unless we impose it by our own minds. What is seen is that in the era defined as the Cambrian explosion, all body plans for virtually all animal fila appeared with astonishing suddenness, not gradually as Darwin’s theory had suggested. A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism – Over 600 highly accredited Scientist from universities all over the world have signed this document stating that they have major problems with Darwin’s theory. Evidence of Cosmology – A question of origins? Until about 1915 most people accepted that the universe had always existed and was relatively static and eternal. In 1929, astronomer Edwin Hubble, provided empirical data confirming that the Universe was expanding. He determined that galaxies outside our Milky Way were moving away from us at a speed proportional to their distance from the earth. The further way from us, the faster the galaxy was moving away. (That fact seems to make the earth a pretty significant part of this universe as the Bible describes it to be.) If the Universe is expanding, then at some point it must have been smaller and more dense. That suggests at some point in the past the universe had a beginning. The Kalam Cosmological Argument states that 1) Whatever
___________________________________________________________________________________Psalm 19 – David writes, The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of his hand. Day after day they pour forth speech. Night after night they proclaim knowledge. There voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the end of the world. Colossians 1:15 – Paul writes, Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before God made anything at all and is supreme over all Creation. (NLT)
Week 4 - Heaven & Earth
Week 4 – Part 1 – Heaven & Earth
Rating 10+ 20 min.How wonderful, vast, and stunning are the heavens and the earth? How is the universe governed? What laws does it obey, and where do those laws come from? Explore what the bible says about these marvels. Contents: Natural Laws, Building Blocks, A Habitable Planet, DNA, Plants, Sun, Solar System, Stars, Backyard Variety. Evidence: Natural Laws – Where did they come from? Laws of Logic, Laws of Mathematics, Laws of Physics, Laws of Chemistry, Laws of Biology. All these Laws work together. Why should there be laws at all? Building Blocks – Everything in the universe is made up of about 90 kinds of atoms, which can combine into millions of substances. Carbon is the most common element. Change it just a little and we would not have life. Water’s unusual properties makes it unique. Water expands as it freezes unlike other chemicals. Freezing creates ice which floats, thus protecting life by insulating in the water from the cold so that water can support life even in freezing temperatures. Change water just a little and life would be impossible. Habitable Planet – Earth is ideally placed in the galaxy to limit radiation which otherwise could end life. Earth is the right distance from the sun, not too hot or not too cold for life. The earth’s tilt is ideal to regulate heat. Earth’s mass is big enough to hold on to needed gasses supporting life, but not too big to hold on to poisonous gasses that would destroy life. The amount of water is unique to earth. The moon creates tides which prevents oceans from stagnating. It has an electromagnetic field that protects the earth from harmful radiation. The Language of DNA – is recognizable as from a source of intelligence. It is far too complex to have just happened by chance. Plants – Plants convert the sun’s energy into energy usable by life. This process is extremely complex. Plants produce oxygen needed to sustain life, slow erosion, hold moisture, provide food, and more. The Sun – Spins too slowly (once every 24 days) to have formed from evolution. It is well balance with earth to sustain life. Solar System – Each sphere is unique in size, color, composition and match the descriptions in the bible long before the invention of modern telescopes. Comets are formations of ice crystals and each time they pass by another celestial body they give off moisture. The comets we observe are relatively new. The Stars – Our Milky Way galaxie is estimated to contain over 100 billion stars, but it is like a grain of sand compared to the estimated 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. In the days when one could only see about 3000 thousand stars in the sky at night, the Bible records that there are as many stars in the skies as there are grains of sand on the shores. Scientists don’t really know how many stars there are, but there are estimates that the number of stars is around 10 21st power; whereas mathematical estimates of grains of sand on the earth’s seashores are estimated to be 10 25th power. Perhaps some day the two numbers will meet. Backyard Variety – The variety in living things in our own backyards defies evolution. At present rates of change, there simply is not enough time even with millions of years to account for these variations. The variety in bacteria have been found in even the earliest fossils, suggesting that life did not start by changes to simple celled organisms. In fact, the evidence of God creating both male and female after their own kind as described in the Bible is exactly what we observe today.
Part 2 – Flood Geology
Rating 10 29 min.The earth today carries many remnants of the great flood of Noah. Massive fields of fossils buried suddenly, weather patterns recorded in polar ice, continent-wide layers of sediment uncovered today as rock layers, all support the Genesis account. Contents: Flood Initiation, The present is not the key to the past, Mt. St. Helens, rock layers, fossilization, coal, canyon, rapid specification, distribution of plants & animals, ice age. Evidence: Flood initiation – The flood initiation was caused by an upheaval and cracking of the earths crust releasing vast quantities of water. Note – It has been estimated that there may well be more water under the earth’s crust than above it. Present is not the key to the Past – The geological features that we see around us appear to be vastly different from what we see forming today. Thick mud layers over continents, coal seems covering entire states, fossil grave yards, frozen Mammoths, miles of underground tunnels, ice sheets over continents, canyons cut thousands of feet deep. The Bible’s great flood provides a logical explanation to many of the earth’s changes of the past. Mount Saint Helens – May 8th 1980, Mt. Saint Helens erupted in Washington from a 5.1 earthquake. The earth’s surface changed rapidly. The eruption blew out the side of the mountain. Large areas of ice were covered by ash and formed badlands in days. Followup eruptions formed fine layers in just hours. On June 10th mud flows cut a 100 ft deep zigzag canyons in soft sand and mud, complete with perpendicular side canyons. These canyons are reminiscent of Grand Canyon, but 1/40th the size and created in just hours. Mud flows in the next 10 years cut hundreds of feet deep into solid rock in days of cutting time. A log mat formed on the surface of Spirit Lake, and the movement of the logs stripped the bark away and formed up to 3 ft. of bark peat in just a couple years. Vertically floating trees sunk upright to the bottom of the lake and were buried in a decade. This is similar to the trees in Yellowstone’s Fossil Forest which were also buried in ash. Observing the recent processes of Mt. St Helens offer up a great deal of insight into the non-evolutionary explanations for the things we wee around us today. Rock Layers – Rock layers are visible all over the world. Present processes don’t explain these layers. Formation of fossils are rare today, but somewhere in the past thick layers of sand and mud were spread over continents, and rapid burial fossilized millions upon millions of well preserved creatures. Noah’s flood offers an explanation as to why sea creatures are found at the top of the Grand Canyon over a mile above sea level. Some of the sand grains in the Navajo sand stone had to have come from the Appellation mountains, but there is no known process for taking material from the Appellations to the southwest, except perhaps a global flood. Fossilization – Without rapid burial, living organisms rot, decay and are consumed before they have a chance of fossilizing. Yet billions of fossils are found all over the world, even soft parts. If a body is quickly sealed from oxygen and out of reach of burrowing animals, it can be preserved. Coal – Coal is found all over the continents. 10 ft. of plant material is needed to make 1 ft. of coal. Evolutionary geologists teach that coal is the result of peat building up in swamp bogs over millions of years. However, top and bottom layers of coal seems are usually flat, and thin layers of mud are often
Week 5 - Unlocking the Mystery Of Life
Week 5 – Unlocking the Mystery Of Life
Rating 10 65 min.In 1859, Charles Darwin published, “On The Origin of Species”. In it he argued that all life on earth was the product of undirected natural processes, time, chance, and natural selection. Since Darwin, biologists have relied on such processes to account for the origin of living things. This theory is being challenged as never before. This DVD tells the story of the contemporary scientists who are behind the theory of intelligent design. Using computer animation, “Unlocking the Mystery of Life”, transports you into the interior of the living cell to explore systems and machines that bear the unmistakable hallmarks of design – Rotary motors that spin at 100,000 rpm. Biological information processing systems more powerful than any computer network. Explore a thread-like molecule that stores instructions to build the essential components of every living organism on earth. Evidence: Pajaro Dunes, California – 1993 Phillip E. Johnson, Professor of Law at the University of California, Berkeley invited a group of well recognized scientists and philosophers to a meeting to contemplate the origins of life. The guests were Dr. Paul A. Nelson, Philosopher of Biology; Dr. Dean H. Kenyon, Evolutionary Biologist, San Francisco State University; Dr. Michael J. Behe, Biochemist Lehigh University; Dr. Stephen C. Meyer, Philosopher of Science Discovery Institute; William Densky, Mathematician Baylor University; Johnathan Wells. Phillip Johnson suggests that the question of origins is the most interesting topic of discussion there is. Together they began to formulate an alternative to the central theory of modern biology proposed by Charles Darwin. Charles Darwin – In 1831, Darwin at age 22 year old set sail for the Gallapegos Islands. Darwin took extensive notes, collected specimans and then he left never to return. Over the next 25 years he developed a theory how diverse life forms came into being. In 1859 Darwin published a book on the Origin of Species. Its impact on science and all of western culture was dramatic. In his book, Darwin argued that all life was the product of undirected natural forces. Time, chance and a process he called natural selection, could account for all life on earth. He related the natural selection process to the finches he found on the Galapagos Islands. Through natural selection, Charles Darwin thought he could explain design without the intelligent designer. Natural selection became a sort of designer substitute. Natural Selection – Works well to explain small scale change, but it doesn’t work well in explaining the real complexity of life as Darwin thought it could. As Darwin describes the process, Natural selection acts only by taking advantage of slight successive variations. She can never take a great and sudden leap, but must advance by short and sure, though slow steps. When Michael Behe was getting his education in biology, the entire education system operated on the assumption that the principles of evolution were correct. These assumptions were not challenged and he could find no reason to not believe in the evolutionary process. After graduating he read a book called Evolution, A Theory in Crisis, and started to understand there was another side to this story. He got angry that he could receive a doctorate in biology, and never have heard of these arguments questioning evolutionary assumptions. Natural selection selects for those processes which provide a natural advantage, and eliminates things that don’t work. If something is created by a series of small steps over time, chances are that the process will be eliminated after the first step if there is no advantage to the organism. Things that are irreducible will simply not be able to be produced under the process of evolution, as they will be eliminated long before they become useful. In 1996 Michael Behe published a book Darwin’s Black Box. In this book Mr. Behe concludes that evolution cannot account for irreducibly
Week 6 - The Origin Of Humans
Week 6 – The Origin Of Humans
(Neanderthals, Australopithecines, and other Famous creatures) Featuring Mike Riddle (AIG) Rating 10 68 min.This DVD features creationist Mike Riddle’s analysis of the false claims by evolutionists. Mike Riddle has a degree in Mathematics, a Masters degree in education, and 25 years experience in the computer field, most recently managing Microsoft’s worldwide training for system and sales engineers. He is a keynote speaker for Answers in Genesis. In this DVD he deals with case studies in the areas of Neanderthals, Lucy and Australopithecus, and the new ape-man: Ramidus. In the process of his analysis, he discusses both natural selection and mutations. This DVD focuses on the fossil findings used by evolutionists to support their theory of the evolution of early man. Mike Riddle exposes evolutionists deceiving the public in an effort to support their theory, and questions why they would need to lie for their theory. He challenged evolutionists to be truthful in their presentation of the fact of science. He exposes the text books & media for using selective reasoning to promote the theory of evolution in the face of facts supporting the opposite view. Question – Did we evolve or were we made in the image and likeness of God? Topics:
- The history and track record of ape-men
- Three case Studies – Neanderthals, Australopithecines and Lucy, and a new “ape-man”
- Mechanism for change If the evolution of humans from an ape-like ancestor is true there should be two proof evidences.
- An abundance of fossils
- A mechanism for change
- 1891 found an apelike skullcap
- 1892 found a human like thigh bone 40ft. away
- The claim – ape-man 500,000 years old, with no dating mechanism to prove claim
- Rudolph Virchow (father of modern pathology) stated at the time, In my opinion this creature was
- Parts found between 1908 and 1912 in Piltdown, England
- Portion of a human skull
- Portion of lower ape-like jaw bone and teeth
- The claim – Intermediate link 500,000 years old, with no dating mechanism to prove claim
- Almost every scientist who believed in evolution at the time believed this to be a known fact. The New York Times ran an article: “Darwin Theory Proved True”. Featured in textbooks and encyclopedias for over 40 years.
- 1953 scientists studied the bones and determined the bones had been chemically stained to make them appear old, and the teeth had been filed to make them fit.
- It is now believed that Piltdown man was about 600 years old.
- The whole thing was a fraud. Nebraska Man
- Fossil discovery 1922
- Used to support evolution in the famous Scopes trial
- The claim – 1 million year old intermediate link. Yet, no dating methods till the 50’s & 60’s
- The museum in Nebraska created Nebraska man, his wife, his family & living environment.
- The evidence – a single tooth. The tooth was later found to be that of an extinct pig. Ramapithecus
- Pithecos = Greek for ape
- Discovered in 1930s: teeth and some jaw fragments
- The claim – 14 million year old intermediate between ape-like creatures and humans. No dating methods available at that time.
- The evidence – 1970 discovered that Ethiopian baboons had an almost identical tooth & jaw structure.
- Ramapithecus is no longer part of the human line in textbooks, no longer a fact of evolution. Summary of “Facts”
- Java man – Extinct ape
- Piltdown man – Hoax
- Nebraska Man – Pig
- Ramapithecus – Ape
- Every estimated date for age was wrong Neanderthals
- Constructed by the media to look hairy and ape-like, because that’s the likeness they wanted.
- First found near Dusseldorf, Germany in 1856
- Brain capacity slightly larger than average human
- Later it was determined the bones had been put together wrong. When they put the bones back
- Neanderthal anatomy has everything to do with natural selection (adapting to their environment) & nothing to do with evolution.
- Common dates for Neanderthals are 100,000 to 35,000 years ago. On average say 65,000 years. This is about 2600 generations. There should be easily 50 billion Neanderthals which lived in that time period. Yet we have found very few Neanderthal skeletons, and only at about 30 sites. Where are the fossils, when Neanderthals buried their dead? Conclusion About Neanderthals
- Protruding brow ridge – we have that today
- Stocky body build and short extremities – we have that today
- Isolated population of people – we have that today
- Lived in a cold climate – we have that today
- 100% human Science and Education
- Receiving only selected information means you are not being educated, you are being indoctrinated.
- Why are textbook writers withholding information? Because once you put all the information in the textbooks, evolution cannot stand up against it.
- A model that continually resorts to misleading information and deception can no longer be called science. If evolutionists want their theory to be called a science they must be prepared to do the work and provide all the evidence for their theory. Lucy and the Australopithecines (southern ape)
- Discovered 1974
- About 40% of the fossil was found
- The claim – 3.5 million years old. Claimed to be bipedal (walk upright).
- Lucy named after Beatles song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (LSD).
- Lucy bears no similarity to humans. Long arms identical to chimpanzees. Jaw similar to a chimpanzee. Upper leg bone similar to a chimpanzee, and legs were ape-like. Brain size overlaps chimpanzees at 400-500cc. Hands similar to pygmy chimpanzee. Feet were long and curved. Yet, a drawing from Life: The Science of Biology, Purves, Orians, and Heller, 1992, p.604 shows a picture of human feet labelled Lucy’s Feet. Our textbook writers continue to put false and misleading information in the textbooks to support evolution.
- For decades, major researchers and even articles in evolutionary magazines, have concluded that Lucy could not walk upright; yet our textbook teaching has not changed. A.ramidus (validity of the reported evidence)
- Discovered in 1994 (Aramis, Ethiopia)
- The claim – 4.4 million years old
- Fossils were collected from 17 different areas, and were spread over a square mile. Found 8, teeth, most were damaged. Base of the skull found 1500 ft. away from the major search area. Arm bones found almost 900 ft. away. How would you know if all the findings belonged to the same creature? You would not.
- Time Magazine, Oct. 3, 1994, p. 68 – Bones from the Ethiopian desert proved that human ancestors walked on earth 4.4 million years ago.
- Newsweek, October 3, 1994, p.57 – Ramidus confirms once and for all that the common ancestor lived just a little more than 4.4 million years ago.
- The evidence of proof:
- It fits into the line of progression with all the other missing links
- The date of 4.4 million years
- The thickness of the enamel on the fossil teeth
- The deciduous molar
- It might have been bipedal
- Conclusions – None of this so called proof stands up to scrutiny Great claims require real evidence! Mechanism for Change
- Natural selection and mutations must add new information for the genome to perpetuate change.
- Natural selection ONLY works with existing information. It never adds new information.
- The Biology of Animal Parasites, 1989, p. 516 states, Natural selection can act only on those biological properties that already exist; it cannot create properties in order to meet adaptation needs.
- If evolution were true, then evolution should select the beneficial mutations and eliminate the harmful ones, but it does not. As of 1999 we had over 11,000 known human mutations and disorders in the human species alone. Natural selection is moving in the opposite direction to what evolutionists are telling us.
- The evidence does not support evolution. Human Variation
- There are no known beneficial mutations that add information.
- It is a great claim without any evidence We must choose between God and the deception of evolution. If you rule out a creator God, then we become our own god. That great lie has become part of many churches today. Bible References: Genesis 1:27 – So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female. Genesis 3:5 – For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.
Week 7 - From Evolution to Creation
Week 7 – From Evolution to Creation
(Testimony of a former Evolutionist) by Dr. Gary Parker Rating 10+ 60 min.A respected biology professor explains his gradual conversion from belief in evolution to biblical creation. Warm, humble and humorous. Dr. Gary Parker shows how, step by step, the Lord helped him to see the false assumptions behind modern evolutionary belief, and how the Bible’s account of origins is confirmed by science. ************************************** Dr. Gary Parker begins by describing evolution as he was taught, taught to his students, and believed for years. He now believes that what he taught is the biggest lie he ever told. God inspired a book in which he said what he meant and meant what he said. As a young Christian Dr. Parker was unsure of what to do with the mountain of so called evidence he had learned. He thought that he could just modify his beliefs to say evolution is true, but God did it. The more he thought about this concept, the more he felt it did not reconcile to the God of the Bible. A colleague at the seminary shared a book with him, The Genesis Flood by John Whitcomb and Henry Morris. After reading the book he began to feel cheated that nobody had ever showed him the evidence of creation. Recognizing evidence of creation requires only the simple tools – logic & observation. Evolutionists see evidence for creation all around them, but they knowingly suppress the truth. Madalyn Murray O’Hair, best known for the Murray v. Curlett lawsuit, which led to a landmark supreme court ruling ending government sponsored prayer in American public schools, is no exception. She may have hated God with every fibre of her being, but she knew God existed. Like gravity, you can’t see it, feel it, or taste it, but we know it exists by the effect it has on things. So it is with some of the evidence for creation. Two basic units of living things are DNA and protein molecules. They have a relationship in that the amino acids take instructions from the DNA when forming protein molecules for structure and function. An airplane is a collection of non-flying parts. The only way it flies is by creative design and organization. A cell is more complex than any airplane. The cell is a collection of non-living molecules. What does it take to make a living cell alive? Creative design and organization. Woodpecker as an example of evidence of creation. Great Debate – Science Department defending creation, the Bible Department defending evolution. Nebular hypothesis whereby gasses form new spherical bodies in stellar creation, has a big problem. The calculations show the gas cloud pressure created by condensing gasses is 60-100 thousand times the pressure of the gravity claimed to pull it in.
Week 8 - Dating Fossils and Rocks
Week 8 – Dating Fossils and Rocks Scientific Evidence and the Age of the Earth
Rating 10 – (61 min.)
- Primer on radioactive decay
- Carbon 14 dating
- Radioisotope dating
- How fast it decays measured in half-lives – 5,730 years in the case of C-14.
- The starting amount of C-14 in the organism when it died.
- Dr. Willard Libby, the founder of Carbon 14 dating, noticed that the atmosphere was almost 25% out of equilibrium. Believing in billions of years as an evolutionist, he ignored the evidence, and he chalked it up to a calculations error.
- In the 60’s other scientists repeated Libby’s experiment & determined it was not an error.
- To reach equilibrium from a starting point of zero it should take only 30,000 years.
- Scientists now suggest that C-14 is being produced at a 25% higher rate than it is being consumed. Therefore, the method of dating exaggerates the age for plants and animals. Deception – In the 60’s we knew the prime assumption for Carbon 14 dating was false, but ignored this known fact, and taught this misinformation anyway for over 40 years. Why? Because evolutionists want to believe in billions of years so much, the evidence doesn’t matter. Other factors that could affect the amount of carbon in the atmosphere:
- Cosmic ray penetration of the earth’s atmosphere.
- Strength of the earth’s magnetic field. The magnetic field is decaying.
- Amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
- Genesis Flood – buried much carbon from living organisms to form coal and oil. The buried carbon today is about 100 times the total carbon currently in the biosphere.
- C-14 can only be used to date organic material.
- C-14 dating, accuracy is dependent on consistent ratio of C-12 to C-14 [equilibrium].
- The assumption of equilibrium is FALSE. • Other factors affecting atmospheric C-14: Genesis Flood, weakening magnetic field.
- Ancient fossils as well as coal contain C-14 residue.
- It takes 30,000 years to reach equilibrium and we are 25% out of equilibrium.
- Conclusion – The earth is young. Radioisotope Dating Methods – Dating rocks Why do people believe in an old earth?
- Think science has proven the earth to be old. Circular logic of the geologic column.
- Peer pressure.
- Intellectualism (science Vs religion).
- Don’t want to hear the information.
- Young earth believers are ignoring the scientific evidence? Not at all!
- The Bible does not teach how old the earth is….But yes it does.
- Most scientists believe the earth is old…true. But there are 1000’s that believe it is not. Teaching evolution as Fact without Questioning the Evidence or Teaching how it Works: Biology Textbook: Visualizing Life, Holt, Rinehart, Winston, 1998, p. 177. – Using radioactive dating, scientists have determined that the earth is about 4.5 million years old, ancient enough for all species to have been formed by evolution. How does radioactive decay work? Parent element like Uranium gradually decays into Lead the daughter element. Similarly Potassium over time decays into Argon. This method is used to date igneous and metamorphic rocks (basalt from lava flows). Cannot be used to date organic material, limestone, sandstone and shale).When you find a rock with lead in it, scientists assume that all the lead from the molten flow seeped out and left only uranium. Thus, they assume that all the lead present is from radioactive decay. Assumptions:
- The starting amount of daughter element is known.
- All the daughter element is from radioactive decay.
- Sample was always in a closed environment – couldn’t add or take away from sample.
- The decay rate has always been consistent.
- Sunset Crater, Northern Arizona – Potassium-argon date 200,000+, Reality AD 1065
- Mt. Ngaurhoe, New Zealand lava flow – Potassium-argon date 275,000, Reality 1949, 1954, 1975
- Hualalai basalt, Hawaii – Potassium-argon date 1.4-22 million, Reality: AD 1801
- Mt. Etna basalt, Sicily – Potassium-argon date 140,000-350,000, Reality 1972
- Mt. St. Helens – Potassium-argon date 2.8 million years, Reality 1980
- Grand Canyon – Precambrian layer at bottom of canyon dated by Rb-Sr isochron age of 1070 million years old, then took rocks from top layer (youngest rocks) same method produced age of 1340 million years old. 300 million years older than the oldest rocks.
- Even the same rock tested twice will give significantly different results. If we can’t trust
- Lava flow with trees in it. Trees dated at 44,000 years, while lava around it was dated at 45 million years old.
- Helium – migrates very easily into the atmosphere from rocks during the decay process. Over 68% of the Helium is still in the granite rocks. This suggests the earth is young, perhaps about 6000 years old, not billions of years.
- Nuclear decay rates don’t support an old earth (radioisotope dating).
- Not enough sodium in the oceans for it to be old.
- Rapid disintegration of comets don’t support an old earth.
- Erosion of the continents.
- Sediments in the ocean
- Decay of the earth’s magnetic field
- Carbon 14 ratio in the atmosphere
- Radio halos for polonium in granites
- Population statistics
- Recession of the moon RATE Group – Scientists that are focused on the age of the earth at ICR. They confirm C-14 dating supports a young earth, not one that is millions or billions of years old. Conclusion: (five facts)
- The earth has not been scientifically proven to be billions of years old.
- The bible teaches a literal 6 day creation.
- Many scientists believe in a literal 6 day creation about 6,000 years ago.
- New evidence from nuclear decay supports a young earth model.
- There are many, many scientific evidences for a young earth. (see list above)
Week 9 - Astronomy and the Bible
Week 9 – Astronomy and the Bible
featuring Mike Riddle
Rating 10 – 72 min.
- Two models
- Evidence for age
- Origin of stars
- Scientific evidence and the big bang
- The Bible and big bang cosmology Evolution/Theistic Evolution
- Day Age Theory – God used the big bang to start things off, but the universe is billions of years old and the days of creation are long indefinite periods of time.
- Gap Theory – Puts billions of years in between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2.
- Progressive Creation Model – Big bang, long periods of time for days of creation. ► All the above believe in the big bang, universe is 12-15 billion years old, and that stars formed by natural processes. Biblical Model
- God spoke the universe into existence by his great power
- Young Universe
- God created the stars and all heavenly bodies What are the implications of accepting the big bang as part of, In the beginning God Created?
- God’s creation was not 6 days
- The meaning of “very good” in Genesis 1:31 becomes questionable
- Death before sin
- Genesis Flood was not worldwide
- Colossians 1:16 “all” does not mean all things
- What do the heavens declare? God or Evolution Textbooks and Science Journals
- Big Bang – billions of years old
- Distant Starlight – billions of years old Are we being given all the evidence?
- Recession of the Moon – 4 cm/year (Contact of earth and moon in 1.4 billion years.)
- Comets – Made of ice. Long period comets circle around the sun or solar system 200 years or more. Short period comets circle around the sun or solar system 200 years or less. As they circle around our solar system they lose mass and therefore should not exist over long periods of time. Evolutionists claim that out in space is an Oort Cloud that produces comments to
- Evolution – Stars evolved billions of years before the earth.
- Theistic Evolution/Progressive Creation – Stars evolved billions of years before earth.
- The Bible – Earth created on Day 1, The sun, moon and stars on Day 4. How are stars formed? Evolution teaches that stars are formed from gas and dust clouds through gravitational contraction. This theory is counter to basic physics. The process causes heat pressure and expansion, not contraction. Fred Whipple, Smithsonian Institute Press, 1985, p. 213. says that Astronomers have yet to find an interstellar cloud in the actual process of collapse. The textbooks are filled with deception, and hold back evidence that might suggest special creation. Star Formation and Time
- Based on the number of estimated stars in the universe, the star formation rate should be around 31,700 stars per second, yet we can’t observe any stars forming. Evolutionists suggest most stars formed at the point of the big bang or shortly thereafter. That conveniently masks the problem of star formation.
- Star nurseries are a figment of the imagination. Background Radiation Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, or WMAP satellite: New York times, 2003 – The most detailed and precise map yet produced of the universe at its birth confirms the Big Bang theory in triumphant detail.. . It reveals the emergence of the first stars in the cosmos, only 200 million yrs. after the Big Bang, half a billion years earlier than theorists had thought. The pictures were just a bit more
- A non-special species
- Living in a non-special place in the universe
- An accident of chance occurrences Is there enough evidence to support a belief in billions of years? This is what evolutions use as evidence for billions of years:
- Cosmic Background Radiation
- Element abundances
- Education system and the media (biggest supporter) Evidences against the Big Bang (left out of most textbooks)
- Cosmic background Radiation
- Galaxy formation
- Spiral galaxies
- SNR (supernova remnants)
- Distribution of galaxies
- 1st & 2nd Laws of thermodynamics
- Medium and heavy elements
- Star formation The big bang model proposes that in the beginning there was matter which expanded in the relationship of space and time, similar to blowing up a balloon. It assumes there was matter, but doesn’t explain where it came from. The bible has the answer. It requires more faith to believe the big bang theory than, in the beginning God created. Redshift – As with sound, as light travels towards you is compacts (blue-shift) and expands as it moves away from you (redshift). Compacting is shown on a blue scale, and expansion or stretching out is shown on a red scale. Most of the light we see is on the red side of the scale suggesting that the universe is expanding away from us. That is used by evolutionists to support the big bang model. Also, the further away a galaxy is from us the further it shows on the red scale or the faster it appears to be moving away from us.
- Day with a number
- Evening and morning
- Genesis 1:14 – And Gods said, Let the bright lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. They will be signs to mark off the seasons, the days, and the years.
- Exodus 20:11- For in six days the Lord made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; then he rested on the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy. Plus Exodus 31:17.
- Words used to indicate time
- Sentence structure
- Genealogies (Gen 5, 1Cron 1, Luke 3)
- Plants and sunlight
- The sun
- The plain reading of the text
- Lexicons and theological dictionaries
- God created trees mature with fruit
- God created mature animals
- God created Adam and Eve mature
- Jesus fed the 5000
- Jesus turned the water into wine
- Jesus withered the fig tree (Matt 21:18-19)
- Instant learning of language (Tower of Babel)
- Instant healing of soldier’s ear (Luke 22:51)
- Creation was “very good” (Genesis 1:31) Question – Is that the God we worship or do we have to bring God down to our level of understanding of science? If the latter statement is true, then we are creating God in our own image and that’s idolatry. What have we seen about the pattern of evolution?
- Not reporting all the evidence
- Constantly updating the big bang model to match observable data
- Disagreement among astronomers
- A disregard for biblical interpretation
- An appeal to churches to accept “real science” claiming you can have the Bible and Evolution Which is easier to believe?
- Nothing created something (Universe)
- God used evolution
- In the beginning God created
- Genesis 1:16 – And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
- Isaiah 40:26 – Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number:…
- Psalms 8:3 – When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
- Exodus 20:11 – For in six days….
- Psalms 19:1 – The heavens declare the glory of God
- Psalms 33:6 – By the word of the Lord were the heavens made; and all the host of them…
- Psalms 148:5 – …for he commanded and they were created.
- Is 45:12 – …I, even my hands, have stretched out the heavens, and all their hosts have I commanded
- Nehemiah 9.6 – Thou, even thou, are Lord alone; thou hast made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host…
- John 1: 3 – All things were made by him…
- Rev 4:11 – …for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created
Week 10 - The Case For Christ
Week 10 – The Case For Christ
by Lee Strobel
Rating 10 – 71 min.Former atheist, Lee Strobel, uses his journalistic skills to investigate the evidence for Jesus Christ. Over a 2 years quest for the truth, Lee Strobel, legal editor of the Chicago Tribune, examines the historical accuracy of the Gospels, the personal claims of Jesus, and his resurrection from the dead. The big question for Lee Strobel: Is there evidence to confirm that Jesus of Nazareth was indeed, the son of God and the Savior of the world?
*********************************************************Lee Strobel’s approach was not to look at the New Testament as being the inspired word of God or as being inerrant. Rather, he looked on the New Testament as being a historical set of ancient documents that historians had applied criteria to which determined their trustworthiness. Over the last few centuries scepticism over the Bible has wormed its way into Western Culture, and Christian circles. Scholars like N.T. Write, Bishop of Durham, UK, and others have spent years researching what was going on in the 1st century in Palestine. The further the research took them, the more the Biblical history made sense. The New Testament gospels are biographies of Jesus. The gospels are written by eyewitnesses or based on eyewitness accounts of the life and teachings of Jesus. Jesus was born between 7 and 4 B.C., and died no later than A.D. 33. His public ministry started with the choosing of his disciples, and lasted about 3 years, culminating in the Passion Week and his trial and death. Scholars agree that the gospel of Mark was written first sometime between 60-75 in the first century. Matthew and Luke were authored slightly after, followed by the book of John. Eyewitnesses were still around to confirm the history. Was the information reliably preserved? The ancient world had no modern media, and wasn’t even a print-based culture. History was preserved by oral tradition, most of which was memorized. It was not uncommon for Rabbis to commit the entire Torah to memory. Early apostles saw the information about Jesus as sacred holy tradition, and went to great lengths to get it correct. Stories were told to a community and if the story was not told correctly, then there were lots of people around who could correct the teacher. Isn’t the New Testament filled with contradictions? Mark describes one blind man healed; whereas Matthew describes two. That is not a contradiction as Mark only described one of the two. Had all the details of every story been exactly the same, then we would think there was some form of collusion. The oldest copies of the Bible the codex sinaiticus was authored between A.D. 330 and 350 and contains almost all of the New Testament and a significant portion of the Old Testament. The codex vaticanus is a near complete Greek copy of the entire Bible. A papyrus fragment from the 18th chapter of John dates to A.D. 125. There are no original survivors of the New Testament writings. How do we know today’s copies bare any resemblance to the original text? There is better manuscript attestation for the New Testament than any other ancient document. The Bible of the Greeks, Homer’s Iliad, is preserved in about 600 manuscripts, the oldest of which is less than 1000
- All for gospels record Jesus’ beating, crucifixion, death on the cross and burial.
- Had the guards let Jesus get away they would have paid with their lives, life was cheap.
- They made certain Jesus was dead by piercing his side with a spear. John 19:34
- Joseph of Arimathea, a Sanhedrin who convicted him, gives credibility to the burial of Jesus. He would have been well known and so would the burial location. Matthew 27:57-60
- The discovery of the empty tomb by women isn’t what would be reported if the story was made up, as women were 2nd class citizens. Luke 24:1-5
- Jesus was seen by over 500 people after his resurrection. 1 Corinthians 15:4-8
- When Paul was writing to the Corinthians, he told them that many people who saw Jesus after the resurrection were still alive to testify to that fact.
- 1 Corinthians 15:3-7 provides evidence that belief in the resurrection was already present among Jews in 2-3 years after Jesus was killed.
- Growth of the early Christian church under severe persecution was rapid. They would not have died for this belief without first hand accounts of people that had seen the resurrected Lord. 2 Corinthians 11:23.
- After the crucifixion the disciples suffer for many years for their beliefs. Most died a violent martyrs death for not recanting those beliefs. They would have gained very little in human terms unless they died for what they knew was true.
- In the case of James and Paul, they didn’t believe until after the resurrection.
- Make it a priority issue in your life
- Resolve to have an open mind and go where the evidence takes you
- Once the evidence is in resolve to reach a verdict in the case for Christ.